Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Joseph Had a Little Overcoat-Caldecott Medal


Taback, S. (2000). Joseph had a little overcoat. New York: Scholastic.
Joseph Had a Little Overcoat is a book that was adapted from a Yiddish folk song. The book takes students through the transformation of Joseph's overcoat to a jacket, , vest, scarf, necktie, handkerchief, and finally a button. This books is colorfully illustrated and very eye-catching for the young reader. The reading is simple and follows a pattern. Taback also uses die cuts on his pages to give the reader a hint of what is to come next. I like this book for younger grade levels, because it teaches that you can always over come things that try and get you down. I try and teach my kids to look at the good in all situations. This book has very positive message and I truly love reading it with my little boy at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment