Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Bracelet, a book by Yoshiko Uchida


Uchida, Y. (1998). The bracelet. New York: NY. Putnam.
The book I chose to critique was The Bracelet written by Yoshiko Uchida. Our school library has this book and I found it and even used it while teaching about immigrants in Social Studies. I was very impressed with the book and the way it was written. This was the first time I had ever read a book by this author.
The setting of this book takes place in the 1940's, while the United States is fighting World War II with Japan over the bombing of Pearl Harbor. This book was eye-opening for my students, because they didn't realize the way the Japanese Americans were treated at this time. The book tells the story of a little girl, Emi, who is Japanese-American, being forced from her home to an interment camp. Her father had already been taken to an internment camp in Montana leaving his family behind to await their fate. Before leaving for the camp, Emi's best friend, Laurie gives her a bracelet to remember her by.
The book reminds of The Diary of Anne Frank. I really enjoyed the way this book was written and the pictures were great.

No comments:

Post a Comment