Thursday, February 25, 2010

So You Want to be President?-Caldecott Medal Winner


St. George, J. (2000). So you want to be president? New York: Philomel Books.

This is a book I read to my students each year during our unit on the Three Branches of Government. I think this book brings the role of President to life for my students. The way this book was written allows students to see that Presidents live life just like they do. However, this book is becoming outdated, it does not include President Obama, which I have pointed out to my students at the present time. I really enjoy the humorous illustrations, and my students do as well. This book brings in many qualifications of becoming President and the history of our Presidents using kid-friendly language. By reading this book I lightened the mood of the classroom with fun facts presented in a way that kids can easily understand and learn from. Books like this one make presenting Social Studies content much more enjoyable for the students and the teacher!!

No comments:

Post a Comment