Thursday, February 25, 2010

Charlotte's Web- Book and Feature Film


White, E.B. (1952). Charlotte's web. New York: HarperCollins Publishers.

Let me begin by saying, I love this book. This is a true classic for children's literature throughout the world. I first read this book when I was in 5th grade. I related to Fern because I grew up on a farm and have always loved animals. My grandparents raised animals for their meat, and it was always heart breaking when that horrible time of the year came to say good-bye to those dear animals. Have you ever taken the time to play with an animal? They are much like the animals (characters) from the book. I have always wondered what they were thinking and how they felt!
Charlotte's Web is another book that is a treasure to share in the classroom. So many wonderful activities can be integrated using this book. This book is a great way to incorporate poetry and creative writing into the classroom. I think E.B. White did a tremendous job writing this book. He gave the animals such amazing personalities. The book just seems so real.
Charlotte's Web has been recreated many times as a cartoon or movie. The latest release was in 2006. The movie has a tremendous cast which included: Dakota Fanning as Fern and Julia Roberts did the voice of Charlotte. This was one movie originating from a book that I was not disappointed in. I felt that the movie had the same charm as the original book. This book is a great way to incorporate death into a difficult situation in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment